At 16 weeks, the fundus can be found halfway between the symphysis pubis and the umbilicus. At 20 - 22 weeks, the fundus will be at the umbilicus, and at 36 weeks, the fundus is at xyphoid process. During the second and third trimesters (weeks 18 to 30), fundal height in centimeters approximately equals the fetus's age in weeks plus or minus 2 centimeters.
Remember that picture as it maybe questioned in NCLEX - CGFNS test.
- To Measure Fundal Height :
- Place the pregnant woment in the supine position
- Place the end of the tape measure at the level of the symphysis pubis.
- Stretch the tape to the top of the uterine fundus, and
- Record / document the measurement.